Just like traveling, moving to a new home or office building can be risky when it comes to bed bug control. Often times people will move homes or businesses to escape a bed bug infestation. Unfortunately, this won’t always solve the problem. The best thing you can do is have the bed bugs removed by a professional pest control company before making the move. Even if your previous dwelling or workplace did not have a bed bug infestation, there is still a possibility that boxes and other moving materials could be carrying bed bugs, especially if rented from a moving company or borrowed from a friend.
So, what should you do?
Diligence in packing is the number one way to avoid bringing bed bugs with you when you move. There are some simple but important steps you need to take while packing to ensure bed bugs are left behind:
- Purchase mattress encasements for each mattress and box spring you will be taking with you and install them on the day of the move.
- Have a strong LED flashlight on hand and thoroughly inspect everything before adding it to a box, bin or moving truck.
- Wash all clothing, linens, pillows and other fabric items. Dry them on the hottest dryer setting possible. Anything that is already clean can skip being washed and put directly into the dryer. It is the high heat from the dryer that kills the bed bugs and their eggs.
- Pack and seal clothes, linens and fabrics in heavy-duty plastic bags.
- Examine all items closely before packing, including books, picture frames, small appliances, trinkets or decorations, anything at all that a bed bug could live in or that was present in an infested location.
- For couches and larger upholstered furniture, thoroughly inspect them for bed bug activity and, if necessary, get them treated by a professional bed bug exterminator.
Aerex Has the Solution
The pest control experts at Aerex understand the importance of timeliness when it comes to bed bug control. To learn how we can help with your bed bug extermination and prevention needs, give us a call at (847) 255-8888, or click below to get a free quick quote. We also recommend heading over to our Resource Center to see what preparations you must do before bed bug extermination can be done in your home.