Restaurant owners and managers must be aware that there are strict regulations for professional pest management in any food handling area. Not only for sanitation and safety reasons, but also for brand reputation. Not only that, but you certainly wouldn’t want to take any chances of incurring damage caused by pests, so make sure you learn how to prevent them.
Here are some tips for how to prevent bugs in your restaurant.
There are some crucial areas in restaurants in which bugs usually gather, and it is important to know what they are so you can learn how to prevent them.
- Thoroughly inspect the building for cracks, holes, or crevices in the walls or foundation. If there are, make sure to seal them. Keep in mind that bugs can fit through even the smallest cracks!
- Close up all openings around wiring, vents, and drain pipes.
- Inspect kitchen equipment, electrical outlets, sinks, electrical boxes, and all the other suspicious places where bugs may be hiding.
- Ensure there are proper seals around all doors and windows, and never leave doors or unscreened windows open.
Sanitation is the key to effective pest control.
- Kitchen equipment, floors, walls, storage areas, and dining areas should be thoroughly cleaned on a regular basis.
- Keep all foods covered and properly stored, and clean up any spilled food immediately.
- Keep trash in easily washable containers, dispose of trash every day, and wash the trash containers with hot soapy water regularly.
- Inspect each shipment of food and supplies for any evidence of bugs.
If you follow all the steps mentioned above, there is a good chance you are going to prevent bugs from settling in your restaurant. Go through each of the steps regularly to keep your restaurant bug-free. It is crucial to prevent bugs before the infestation gets serious, and the only way to do it is by maintaining strict standards and sticking to them.
While it is important to know how to prevent bugs in your restaurant and how to practice proactive pest control on your own, it is crucial to have a pest control professional thoroughly inspect the establishment regularly. You may even choose to have regular treatments done to drastically lower your chances of an infestation.
Proudly serving the greater Chicagoland area in Illinois and southeast Wisconsin, the professional exterminators at Aerex Pest Control understand the habits of different pests and use that knowledge when developing a pest control program that is best suited to your business and your particular problem. Our technicians are professional, state certified, licensed applicators. Call today for your free consultation 847-255-8888 or click here for a free quick quote.