Sometimes it is hard to identify an ant infestation. These tiny insects usually invade your home in search of food. When a scout ant figures out how your house is the excellent source of food, it leaves a scent for other ants to follow. This is why they spread so quickly.
Most ant infestations are difficult to get rid of and require a trained professional. Some species of ants, like carpenter ants, can significantly damage your home. When ants are eating your house piece by piece, things can become quite ugly. A lot of other negative effects can happen as a result of an ant infestation that is left untreated or gets out of control.
How to Identify an Ant Infestation
Before finding out about the damage that ants can cause, it’s important to remember the signs of an ant infestation.
- If you see ants in your home regularly, this may be a sign of an infestation. This usually means that they have established a colony, but you likely can’t see it. A pest control professional is going to be able to find that colony and destroy it.
- Carpenter ants usually travel far away from the nest to find the food. They don’t eat wood, so it’s easy to identify a carpenter ant infestation if you see small piles of wood shavings where they are burrowing through wood.
- If you start to see ants with large wings flying around and coming out of crevices, you should call a professional immediately since this is a definite sign of an infestation. Ants with wings mean that there’s already a large colony established somewhere inside your home.
Untreated Ant Infestations
There are several of species of ants that may invade your home. Some of them just like to eat your food while other can literally eat away at your house.
- One common ant species is the sugar ant. They aren’t very destructive to your home, but they love snacking on any food available. Keep your food stored properly and keep your kitchen clean. Call a professional as soon as you notice them marching across your kitchen counter.
- One of the most destructive ant species is carpenter ant. They make tunnels and nest in wood. If you don’t notice an infestation on time, they can cause serious structural damage to your house. A carpenter ant infestation usually means that there is a moisture problem. They can infest building materials like wood and foam insulation what makes them a serious threat.
- Damage from ants vary. Mostly, they’re a nuisance and they usually do cause some damage. Pharaoh ants, for example, may infest your food. They can build nests in walls, cabinet voids, refrigerator insulation, and the fold of clothes. If you try to get rid of them with substances, they will scatter and cause multiple problems.
Proudly serving the greater Chicagoland area in Illinois and southeast Wisconsin, the professional exterminators at Aerex Pest Control understand the habits of ants and use that knowledge when developing an ant control program that is best suited to your home and your particular problem. Our technicians are professional, state certified, licensed applicators. Call today for your free consultation 847-255-8888 or click here for a free quick quote.