The weather is finally inviting and people are spending more time outdoors in their yards. The warm weather always brings certain species of pests that hide and breed in your lawns and backyards. Not only do can these pests be bothersome while you’re spending time outside, they can also easily spread from your yard into your house. Because of this reason, regular and proper outdoor pest control is important.
Mosquitoes are the most common pests during summer times and by far the most annoying ones. There are some things you can do before and during your summertime barbecue to keep your yard mosquito-free:
- Remove all sources of standing water to prevent mosquitoes from breeding. This includes garden ponds, empty containers, tires, and pet food dishes.
- Change water in birdbaths regularly. Remove objects like plastic swimming pools from your yard since these could become a breeding ground for mosquitoes.
- You can also plant some mosquito repelling plants in your yard like lavender, basil, rosemary, or lemongrass.
- Mow your lawn and keep trees and shrubs trimmed since mosquitoes like to settle in these areas when they aren’t flying around.
- If you can’t keep the mosquitoes in your yard under control, we advise calling an experienced pest control professional to inspect your property. Aerex is now offering mosquito control services that you can try if you’re experiencing any problems with mosquito infestations.
Yellowjackets, wasps, and hornets are frequently showing up at barbecues and pool parties. They pose a serious threat and it’s important to exercise proactive pest control to prevent them from visiting your backyard.
- Yellowjackets and hornets are attracted to strong and sweet smells like perfumes, hairsprays, and candles, so avoid using these scented items if you’re planning on spending time outdoors.
- These pests are also attracted to your food and drink, especially sweet drinks like lemonade and soda. Be careful when you’re dining outside and use only plastic cups; aluminum cans and plastic bottles are good hiding spots for yellowjackets and hornets.
- Keep all food in sealed containers.
- Clean trash, crumbs, and spills immediately from tables. Also, bring utensils and dishes indoors as soon as possible after the meal.
- Remove garbage frequently and keep trashcans covered.
Ticks and Fleas
These pests hide in your lawn and can cause simple problems like skin irritations to more serious ones like illnesses and diseases.
- These insects hide in longer grass, so it’s important to mow your lawn to the proper height.
- Avoid overwatering since these pests prefer moist environments.
- Protect your pets and inspect areas where they spend most of their time.
- Birds eat these insects, so consider placing bird feeders in your yard to attract them.
- Ticks and fleas prefer moist and shady areas. To make the environment less hospitable to these pests, prune trees and shrubs to allow more sunlight to enter your landscape.
- Cedar repels these pests. You can place it in your yard and form barriers or use it to border areas where your pets like to rest or play.
Proudly serving the greater Chicagoland area in Illinois and southeast Wisconsin, the professional exterminators at Aerex Pest Control understand the habits of different pests and use that knowledge when developing a pest control program that is best suited to your home and your particular problem. Our technicians are professional, state certified, licensed applicators. Call today for your free consultation 847-255-8888 or click here for a free quick quote.