With all of the news surfacing about bed bugs over the past few years, it might seem like you know all there is to know about this hard-to-treat pest. They feed on humans while they sleep, leave itchy, red bites, and are surprisingly easy to bring home! But these infamous insects have a lot of hidden facts that might surprise you.
- You cannot just “get” bed bugs. They have to be brought into your home.
- Bed bugs can live for several months without a blood meal.
- Components of bed bug saliva contain anesthetics, making bites quick and painless.
- Bed bugs can live anywhere; hotels, single family homes, apartments, dorm rooms, office buildings, schools, busses, trains… you name it!
- Bed bugs are found in all 50 states.
- Bed bugs are smart. They know to stay hidden during the day, using mattress crevices, boxsprings, picture frames and even underneath wallpaper as hiding places.
- Blood is a bed bug’s only source of food.
- The most common way of getting bed bugs is through travel.
- Whether vacationing for a week or sending the kids to a sleepover, any mode of travel can result in bed bugs.
- Chicago is the nation’s #1 bed bug city.
Aerex Has the Solution
To learn about how the pest control experts at Aerex can help with your bed bug extermination and prevention needs, give us a call at 847-255-8888, or click below to get a free quick quote. We also recommend heading over to our Resource Center to see what preparations you must do before bed bug extermination can be done in your home.