Whether you’re camping in the deep woods or having a BBQ in your backyard, mosquitoes can easily ruin everything. When you’re planning to spend any amount of time outside in the warmer months, especially later in the day, it will benefit you greatly if you protect yourself with some mosquito repellent. A mosquito repellent is a substance that’s applied to human skin or other surfaces in order to prevent these annoying pests from biting or coming around.
How to Use Mosquito Repellent
Mosquito repellents don’t kill these pests, they just help to make you or an area unattractive to mosquitoes. You should apply mosquito repellent to exposed skin and clothing, but don’t put it on under clothing. Don’t apply repellents over wounds, cuts, or irritated skin. If you want to apply it on your face, put it on your hands and rub it on avoiding your mouth and eyes. Don’t spray these products near food in order to avoid ingesting them.
In general, the more DEED a mosquito repellent contains, the longer it lasts. Most will last for a few hours, but if you’re outside for more than two or three hours, it’s a good idea to reapply.
The Best Mosquito Repellent Options
Mosquito repellents containing DEET were developed by the US army in the 1950s. Since then, they remain the most effective, safe, and widely used mosquito repellent. Many scientists agree that DEET is the most best chemical for keeping mosquitoes at bay. Other effective ingredients include picaridin and IR 3535, which are also found to be safe and effective.
- Repel 100 Insect Repellent contains 98% DEET and it can provide a protection for up to ten hours. This repellent is ideal for extreme environments and beside mosquitoes it protects you from ticks and biting flies.
- Off! Deep Woods Insect Repellent can be used for skin and non-synthetic clothes. With 25% of DEET, this repellent provides long protection.
- 3M Ultrathon Insect Repellent Lotion was designed to provide a long-lasting protection for up to 12 hours.
- Off! Skintastic Repellent is a great solution if you spend your time relaxing in the backyard, entertaining outdoors or gardening. It has a nice smell and provides a protection up to two hours since it contains 5% DEET.
- Sawyer Products Premium Maxi-Deet Spray is ideal for extreme environments since it provides a protection for up to ten hours.
- Cutter Backwoods Repellent contains 25% DEET, but it’s effective enough and provides protection for about ten hours.
- Repel Scented Family is a reliable formula with a pleasant scent, which contains 15% of DEET.
- Ben’s 30% DEET Tick and Insect Wilderness formula provide up to six hours protection from mosquitoes, flies, ticks, and chiggers. Its water-based formula stays longer on your skin, with little absorption into the skin.
When it comes to protecting your yard, you should utilize mosquito control and prevention methods to stop them before they even begin to breed. If you have constant problems with a growing population of mosquitoes, you should consider taking advantage of Aerex’s new mosquito control services.
Proudly serving the greater Chicagoland area in Illinois and southeast Wisconsin, the professional exterminators at Aerex Pest Control understand the habits of mosquitoes and use that knowledge when developing a mosquito control program that is best suited to your home and your particular problem. Our technicians are professional, state certified, licensed applicators. Call today for your free consultation 847-255-8888 or click here for a free quick quote.