One of the most prominent Chicago pests is the cockroach. From residential properties to professional buildings, Aerex Pest Control treats cockroaches in Chicago year round. Aside from being a nuisance and destroying materials like leather, books and wallpaper, did you know that cockroaches can be harmful to our health?
It’s true! Waste and saliva from cockroaches contains bacteria that can cause food poisoning, diarrhea, and Staphylococcus infections. But why do they carry this bacteria? Well, the answer is simple (and kinda gross). A cockroach’s main food source is spoiled food in garbage cans. Here, they pick up bacterial organisms on their legs. They deposit this bacteria onto uncovered food once inside your home. Additionally, breathing in dust containing cockroach feces can cause allergic reactions like asthma.
Contrary to popular belief, cockroaches do not enter your home because of poor housekeeping. In fact, even the best-kept homes can fall victim to a cockroach infestation. Cockroaches can come into your home on food, packages, boxes, used furniture and appliances, or can migrate from adjoining apartments or buildings.
To avoid these potentially harmful dangers, it is important to take preventative measures to keep cockroaches out of your home.
Look out for these telltale signs of a cockroach infestation:
• Seeing live insects – cockroaches are nocturnal and hide during the day. You will most likely see them when turning on the light in the kitchen at night
• Droppings – cockroaches leave a dust of black droppings less than 1mm wide and of varying lengths
• Odor – established cockroach infestations produce an unpleasant, musty smell
• Egg cases and cast skins – cockroaches shed their skin 5-8 times as they mature
• Damage – cockroaches will attack organic goods including leather and books
Quick Cockroach Prevention Tips:
- Place all food or edible material in tightly sealed containers – including pet food!
- Remove trash on a regular basis.
- Clean up all areas where spilled food and crumbs may accumulate. This includes under stoves, refrigerators, behind cupboards and other appliances.
- Eliminate clutter in kitchens, bathrooms, laundry rooms, and basements.
- Seal cracks and crevices throughout the home.