Think winter is free of pests? Think again. As mentioned in our Winter Pests blog, spring and summer aren’t the only seasons that come along with pests. Winter can also be an active time for insects and rodents, particularly cockroaches. Cockroaches can breed rapidly and are highly resilient. For this reason, it is very important to know how to get rid of cockroaches in your home or office and act quickly to prevent them from spreading to your neighbors.
Cockroaches are commonly associated with “uncleanliness” but contrary to the popular belief cockroaches can be found in places that are perfectly sanitary. Your home is a cockroach’s ideal environment. After all, they are looking for food, warmth and nesting sites. They can enter your home in many different ways; through cracks and crevices, sewer pipes, drain pipes or vents. Once inside they can manifest rapidly, and as long as your home provides food and shelter, they can remain active year round.
So what do we do to keep them at bay? Aerex Pest Control has compiled a few preventative tips.
- Store food in insect-proof containers such as glass jars or sealable plastic containers.
- Keep garbage and trash in containers with tight-fitting lids.
- Keep trash, newspapers, magazines, piles of paper, rags and boxes out of the home as they provide hiding places and harborage.
- Clean often and degrease any kitchen utensils or appliances. German roaches flourish in environments where cooking fats are present.
- Remove trash and stored items such as stacks of wood from around the outside of the home – this is another hiding spot for roaches.
- Always clean up any spilled food or beverages immediately.
- Clean behind kitchen appliances like refrigerators and stoves regularly.
- Repair plumbing leaks and increase ventilation where condensation is a problem.
Cockroaches are one of the most common pests throughout the United States. Likewise, Aerex Pest Control receives countless calls about them each year. As a leader in Chicago pest control services, Aerex has the knowledge and experience to effectively remove cockroaches from your home or office. Contact us today for more information or for a professional pest inspection.