Think pests are boring? Nope! This week we decided to take a detour from our usual pest control prevention tips to try something a little different. Not only does Aerex Pest Control know how to prevent pests, we also know some fun facts you have probably never thought of! From your favorite Chicago Pest Control Service, here is a roundup of some interesting facts about common pests. Enjoy!
- Relative to body size, cockroaches can run four times faster than the cheetah. Almost three miles in one hour!
- This six-legged critter can live without food for an entire month!
- These rodents are commonly used for scientific testing. But why? Their amazing memories, rapid learning abilities, curiosity and friendliness make them the ideal guinea pigs (no pun intended).
- Rats are used to sniff out bombs, land mines and to identify diseases like tuberculosis.
- Be careful what you wear this mosquito season! They are attracted to the color blue twice as much as any other color.
- Only female mosquitoes bite us. Males feed on flower nectar.
- Bed bugs can have over 10,000 babies in just three months.
- An adult bed bug can survive over a year without any food – about 550 days.
- This spider has six eyes instead of the usual eight that most arachnids have.
- The brown recluse is also known as the “violin spider” because of the violin shaped marking on its back.
- Ladybugs hate surprises. When alarmed, nervous or scared, these pests spontaneously bleed from their legs! Weird, right?
- We hate to say it… but the larvae of this pest is commonly used to clean out infected wounds.
There you have it! Got some interesting pest facts of your own? Let us know! Share your pest knowledge with our fans on Facebook (and be sure to become a fan if you haven’t already!) And remember – spring is here. Be on the lookout for pests in your home or office and call Aerex for the best in Chicago Pest Control Services.