Earlier this week we told you that Chicago was named the #1 “Rattiest” City in America, surpassing both New York and Los Angeles. Well, that surely isn’t something to be proud of! While most of these rodent infestations take place in city environments and food handling properties, any Midwesterner knows that rodents in the home are not uncommon!
As we get further into fall and closer to winter, mice and rats make their way inside to beat the cold. Of course you could always invest in mousetraps or perhaps a cat, but Aerex Pest Control helps their customers focus on prevention. Kick the problem before it starts this year and learn how to prevent mice and rats in residential homes.
- Install weather strips on doorways and windows
- Replace or seal broken windows and cracks
- Caulk around utility/service pipes
- Repair openings in the home’s foundation
- Clean up weeds or shrubbery that are touching the home, as they provide safe passage to pests
- Cut down overhanging tree branches
- Do not use mulch near the foundation of the home
- Make sure firewood is stored at least 12 inches away from the home’s exterior
The best way to control rodents is to keep them out of your house. Easier said than done, right? After all, mice can make their way into a building through an opening just 1/4 of an inch wide!
Here’s a tip: if you can see light coming in through underneath your doors, a mouse can fit.
If you have any questions about rodent-proofing your home, Aerex Pest Control can help! Likewise, if rodents make their way in and you need professional pest control services, give us a call. We’ll create a plan to remove the pests safely and efficiently.