You’ve purchased your first home. Congrats! On top of remodeling, renovations and furnishing, there is one more thing you will need to think about as you take on the exciting role of “new homeowner.” That’s right – pests. While pests can be a problem even in new construction homes, they tend to be more prevalent in older homes, used homes, or homes that have not been lived in for a period of time.
Home inspections don’t catch everything, and you never know what a previous homeowner left behind. So, make sure to add pest-proofing to your long list of items to be taken care of and follow these simple tips!
- Have a wood burning fireplace? Store firewood at least 20 feet away from your home.
- If you’re using mulch for landscaping, keep it away from the home’s foundation. Or, consider stone landscaping instead.
- Keeping your kitchen and bathrooms clean is key. These are also the last places you’d want pests!
- Trim tree branches and shrubs that come in contact with the home.
- Keep the home as decluttered as possible. Pests love to hide in dark, disheveled spaces.
Pest-proofing a home is easier said than done, but taking the time to do it will definitely pay off. By following these few simple steps, you will be on your way to pest free living in your new home! Of course, preventing pests completely will prove difficult. If you come across signs of an infestation, contact Aerex Pest Control, a leader in Chicagoland pest control services. Better yet, call us before you moving in for a professional pest inspection! That way, we can tackle any issues before they become a bigger problem and offer you the best tips, tricks and guidelines for living pest-free. Better yet? A new homeowner deserves new customer treatment. We will give you $10 off our initial service rate!
Don’t overlook pest proofing in your new home. You will be happy you did it – trust us.