After a long cold winter, spring is finally here! But as the weather improves for you, it also improves for pests who get very active this time of year. That is why we are bringing you a simple 5-point checklist which will help you get ahead of pesky pests and complete your pest prevention. All it takes is a few simple precautions to help ensure a pest-free home.
1. Remove standing water. lot of bugs can’t live without water and can’t reproduce without it. That is why it is a good idea to remove any water you might have standing around. Whether it’s a birdbath or a rain puddle, try to remove any standing water near the home. This is a mosquito’s prime stomping ground, so keeping standing water to a minimum will help keep mosquitos and other pests at bay.
2. Trim greenery. If you have a lot of greenery around your home, it’s best to trim the trees, bushes and shrubs because they are perfect hiding places for pests. You never know what could be creeping and crawling in your trees and shrubs. Keep these well-trimmed and away from the house to eliminate easy-entry for pests.
3. Seal cracks in and out of your home. Some pests (like mice and ants) can enter the home through even the tiniest of spaces. Go around your home (both inside and out) and make note of any cracks or crevices. Seal each one with a silicone-based caulk. Don’t forget other entry points like utilities and pipes!
4. Keep wood away from the walls. Certain pests like termites and spiders love to hide in piles of wood. This is why it is so important that items such as mulch and logs are not touching your home’s exterior. Make sure any wood piles are at least 12 inches away from the home. Try using stones or bricks as a barrier for mulch. Not only will this keep insects further from your home, it also looks pretty neat, too!
5. Get a dehumidifier. Basements and attics can get particularly damp in the warmer months, providing a safe haven for pests like centipedes and spiders. If you can’t get rid of the pesky pests in any other way, it’s time to get a dehumidifier. A dehumidifier will remove excess moisture that these pests are attracted to.
Despite your best efforts to prevent pests from entering your home, infestations can still occur. A Chicago pest control company like Aerex can offer environmentally responsible ways to address pest issues, and prevent future visits from insects and rodents.