You always hear jokes about bugs in a restaurant, but as a restaurant owner, it’s not funny if it happens to you. In addition to scaring customers off, common pests can create serious issues for your health and safety policies. This can even result in consequences such as failing inspections, losing cleanliness ratings, and more. Do you know how to prevent bugs in your restaurant? Keep reading for a few simple steps that will help you keep your restaurant clean and safe.
Inspection, Inspection, Inspection
This step probably goes without saying, but it’s the big one, so we’ll say it anyway. When it comes to bug infestations, what you don’t know can hurt you, so identifying the problem is the first step to solving it. Here’s how to conduct effective inspections:
- Pay close attention to cracks, gaps, or holes in your walls and foundations. They might not look big enough to cause a major safety violation, but if it’s big enough for a bug, it needs to be addressed.
- Make sure that all openings are properly sealed and keep doors and windows closed at all times.
Keep it Clean
Sanitation is also key to keeping bugs out in the first place, so take care to sanitize all of the following on a regular basis.
- Kitchen– Regular sanitization procedures should be in place for all kitchen equipment and floors, and your dining areas.
- Food– Make sure to keep all food safely covered and put away. Don’t leave refrigerated items out overnight or leave food containers open, and clean all food spills immediately.
- Trash– Wherever you store your restaurant’s waste, be sure to have procedures in place for disposing of it safely, securely, and efficiently. Ideally, waste containers should be emptied every day. Other best practices for bug prevention include disposing of your trash in containers that can be easily washed and cleaning the containers often to avoid waste build-up that attracts pests.
It’s also advisable to make sure that your sanitation practices are displayed prominently and all members of your staff are aware of them. You can help with this by implementing regular sanitation workshops as refreshers for your staff and instilling for everyone the importance of keeping bugs out.
While ultimately there is no one way to guarantee that bugs will keep out of your restaurant, applying all of them at once will effectively fool-proof your restaurant. Just remember that inspection and sanitation are the most critical steps to forming a solid prevention plan. However, it can also be helpful to get advice from a pest control professional in your area, so seek out a licensed professional near you to schedule regular inspections.
Proudly serving the greater Chicagoland area in Illinois and southeast Wisconsin, the professional exterminators at Aerex Pest Control understand the habits of different types of pests and use that knowledge when developing a pest control program that is best suited to your home and your particular problem. Our technicians are professional, state certified, licensed applicators. Call today for your free consultation 847-255-8888 or click here for a free quick quote.