In recent years, the city of Chicago has been named the #1 bed bug infested city in the United States. As a leader in Chicagoland pest control services, Aerex Pest Control strives to keep our customers both free of pests and updated on the latest updates of the pest control industry.
On June 5, 2013, the Chicago City Council passed an ordinance aimed at putting a stop to the spread of bed bugs in Chicago – the Chicago Bed Bug Ordinance. The ordinance went into effect December 23, 2013. The ordinance places a strong emphasis on preventing the spread of bed bugs via landlord and tenant cooperation.
For information on how to assure compliance with Chicago’s bed bug ordinance or to arrange custom bed bug training for your staff, contact our consulting entomologist, Dr. George Rotramel at 773-684-2011 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- Landlords must supply all tenants with an informational Chicago Bed Big Ordinance brochure.
- All landlords are required to keep a written record of bed bug control and prevention practices.
- Landlords must provide all tenants with a written notice outlining their responsibilities before an inspection.
- Any and all landlords are required to implement pest management services from a professional pest control company when any problems or infestations occur. Furthermore, the two units on either side as well as the two units above and below the infested unit must be inspected and treated within 10 days.
- The disposal of bedding, clothing, furnishings or other infested materials in public dumpsters, sidewalks or hallways is prohibited. Any infested materials such as those mentioned must be enclosed in a plastic bag and labeled as “infested.”
- The ordinance allows the city to issue fines to landlords for not complying with these requirements. Fines can go as high as $2,000 for a third offense.
Bed Bug FAQs
Q: How can I prevent bed bugs in my home?
A: Many cases of bed bugs happen during travel. This could be anything from visiting a friend’s home or taking a vacation to a 5-star resort. Instead of keeping luggage and clothing on furniture, store luggage on a raised luggage rack when traveling. Leave your bags outside of the room and inspect the furnishings before bringing your things inside. Place all clothing in plastic bags that are tightly sealed. You will also want to invest in some bed bug prevention items such as pillow encasements and luggage liners. When you return home, wash everything in hot water.
Q: What are the signs of a bed bug infestation?
A: First a foremost – noticing signs of a bed bug problem doesn’t mean an infestation exists. Some clues can be indicators of other things. Signs of bed bugs include unexplained bites, sores or stings, blood spots on your sheets or mattress, and the appearance of bugs.
Q: If I suspect bed bugs, what is the next step?
A: Any time you suspect a bed bug problem a professional pest control service should be contacted immediately. Aerex Pest Control will first perform a proper inspection and if bed bugs do exist, will execute a safe and effective plan to eliminate them.
Q: How does Aerex Pest Control treat bed bugs?
A: Aerex Pest Control conducts safe and effective pest management practices. In the event of bed bugs, our trained technicians will perform a thorough inspection of your home or office.
Q: I live in a condo/apartment complex. How should I handle bed bugs?
A: Notify your landlord (in writing) of any recurring bites, sores or stings suspected to be caused by bed bugs. Once a plan of action has been established, cooperate with your landlord in the control, treatment and elimination of the bed bugs. Grant access to your unit for inspections and treatments and properly prepare the unit by dusting, cleaning and vacuuming.
The Chicago Bed Bug Ordinance is an effort to substantially lessen the occurrence of bed bugs in Chicago. For more information or to see the full ordinance, please visit www.cityofchicago.org.
Aerex technicians understand the importance of timeliness when dealing with bed bugs. Request a quote for a professional bed bug treatment.